Elder Curtis Sudbury

Elder Curtis Sudbury

Monday, October 17, 2011

Letter from Curtis October 10, 2011

We have seen many miracles, Élder García and I, this week. We have another family of three with a baptismal date for the end of the month, we taught a good lesson to Carlos, Raimundo is progressing well, and we are learning and growing. It looks like we'll finish this month with seven or eight baptisms. It's a good start, but we hope to be able to do much more here. We're really just starting in our harvest of souls. We know that, if we are obedient, we will have a convincing faith. It doesn't guarantee baptisms, but it makes them a whole lot more likely.
The influence of an example has impacted me this week. This new family of three with a baptismal date is due the the righteous example of some young friend of one of the daughters. She noticed that she was different and had a special light and way about her and her influence has caused this young woman to seek out truth. As President Monson quoted in April, "preach the gospel at all times and in all things and in all places; and, if necessary, use words." I know that true example changes people.
That's about all the news. Our baptismal goal for this month was nine. We'll probably finish with eight. It's close...we'd have to find one more person this week...We'll see what happens.
This week's letter is brought to you by the hymn Battle Hymn of the Republic:
1. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored.
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of his terrible, swift sword;
His truth is marching on.
[Chorus]
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
His truth is marching on.
2. He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men before his judgment seat.
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer him; be jubilant my feet!
Our God is marching on.
[Chorus]
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
His truth is marching on.
3. In the beauty of the lilies, Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me.
As he died to make men holy, let us live to make men free,
While God is marching on.
[Chorus]
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
His truth is marching on.
I know that Christ was born. That seems like a small fact, but imagine everything that it implies! He was born the Son of God. He was the predestined Savior of the World, having that role before the world was made. He is both the God of the Old and New Testaments. I know that He is also the God of the Other Testament, the Book of Mormon. I know that this is His Church. He is the God of us all. I know that He lives and loves us. I know His life continues and will continue forever. I know that I can be like He is.
All My Love,
Élder Sudbury
PS Mom and Dad, enjoy your trips. Melanie and Tim, I'll write a note apart. SalleeAnn and Matt, your children are brilliant and adorable (and who would think differently from their parents). If you get a chance, congratulate Abby and Lindsay Brinton for me. Noella, have you found a solid job yet? JuleeAnn and Chris, good luck on the job hunts. I'll pray for the family...that's bad news.
Thanks for everything. I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment