Elder Curtis Sudbury

Elder Curtis Sudbury

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Letter from Curtis August 8, 2011

Hello world,
It was a hard week.  Almost all of our investigators went on vacation this week and we only had ten lessons the whole week, five of those with less-active members.  We are getting better at working as a team and supporting each other.  We're having a few difficulties finding new people to teach, but things are going well.  Élder Valenzuela is progressing as a missionary very well.  He is becoming a much better teacher and has a great desire to apply himself to the work.  We're getting along just fine.
This area is an interesting one.  The ward hasn't had many great missionaries in it for some time.  A lot of the members have become a little discouraged that there are people to find and teach.  We know there are, because we asked Heavenly Father ;).  We're working a lot with the Priesthood Executive Committee and the Ward Council in creating a ward mission plan.  They are getting really excited.  We are creating a ward mission plan that supports all of the different organizations.  Everybody's input has been great.  We truly believe that as we start working as a team here we will have great success.  We are helping the ward get rid of an old false tradition:  Missionary work is primarily the job of the missionaries and the ward members should help or support us.  In place of that false tradition, a ward mission plan helps the ward act in accordance with the correct principle:  Missionary work is primarily the job of the ward and its members and the missionaries are there to help.  It's a complete reversal of an old tradition, but we have already started to make great strides in that direction.  The Lord is blessing us immensely.
I never did get to say congratulations to Bishop Denison on his new calling.  I am excited to report to him at the end of my mission.
Well, after last week's very short letter, nobody really sent me much email, so I don't have much to which to respond.  Know that I love you all and you're all in my prayers.  I'm very blessed to have such a great family.
This week's letter is brought to you by the hymn: Behold! A Royal Army

1. Behold! A royal army,
With banner, sword, and shield,
Is marching forth to conquer
On life’s great battlefield.
Its ranks are filled with soldiers,
United, bold, and strong,
Who follow their Commander
And sing their joyful song:

Victory, victory,
Thru him that redeemed us!
Victory, victory,
Thru Jesus Christ, our Lord!
Victory, victory, victory,
Thru Jesus Christ, our Lord!

2. And now the foe advancing,
That valiant host assails,
And yet they never falter;
Their courage never fails.
Their Leader calls, “Be faithful!”
They pass the word along;
They see his signal flashing
And shout their joyful song:

Victory, victory,
Thru him that redeemed us!
Victory, victory,
Thru Jesus Christ, our Lord!
Victory, victory, victory,
Thru Jesus Christ, our Lord!

3. Oh, when the war is ended,
When strife and conflicts cease,
When all are safely gathered
Within the vale of peace,
Before the King eternal,
That vast and mighty throng
Shall praise his name forever,
And this shall be their song:

Victory, victory,
Thru him that redeemed us!
Victory, victory,
Thru Jesus Christ, our Lord!
Victory, victory, victory,
Thru Jesus Christ, our Lord!

In life's battlefield, I know who is my captain.  Jesus Christ, my Savior and Redeemer is always at my side to guide me and direct me.  I know that He has redeemed me.  I know that through Him I will be victorious.  I know that He is my Lord.  I know that the world will get more confusing and evil, but Christ will never falter.  He is our great Foundation, our Rock.  I know He lives.  I know He is my Savior and Best Friend.  He will always come first in my life.  Nothing can replace Him, for He has saved me out of a pure love of me.  We will be gathered, both physically and spiritually, to live with Him and be as He is.  I know it is true!  This is His church, made to help us become as He is.  That is what a church is for, to help perfect the people within it.  I know that it is true, I can't deny it.  No logical attack can ever shake the sure answer that I have received in my heart that it is true.  I hope to be a Witness of that all my life.

All my Love,
Élder Sudbury

PS  Mom and Dad, I'll write you a short note.  Melanie and Tim, enjoy your vacation.  SalleeAnn and Matt, I got your announcement about Abby.  She is darling.  Noella, you're going to have to teach me a few of these games when I return.  JuleeAnn, good luck with the job.  Chris, good luck with school.  Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment