Elder Curtis Sudbury

Elder Curtis Sudbury

Monday, September 5, 2011

Curtis' letter, September 5, 2011

Well, it was a bit of a better week. We are being tested and tried to see if we will keep going strong even if we see little immediate results. We are comforted by the fact that our efforts will prepare the way for future missionaries to be able to do great things here. We are contacting a lot and we have some good plans to help ward members fulfill their responsibilities this week. All is going well.

We met up with a lot of less active members this week. All of them have had a very hard time. Among their experiences are dictatorial non-membr husbands, alcoholism, imprisoned family, suicide attempts, deaths, and less-than-noble jobs to try to help family members. Life is never easy, but they are finding peace in coming back into the gospel. My testimony has grown a lot this week helping them apply the atonement and feel the Holy Ghost.

We haven't done much else this week. We've been working hard, but we're finding few people. God is helping us. I know He is preparing me specifically for the people I meet. We met an ex-presbyterian-jehovah's witness-catholic this week and the many people I know are helping us resolve his doubts. I don't know many missionaries who would be ready to explain his many doubts lovingly. God puts us where we need to be.

This week's letter is brought to you by the hymn Abide With Me; 'Tis Eventide:


1. Abide with me; ’tis eventide.
The day is past and gone;
The shadows of the evening fall;
The night is coming on.
Within my heart a welcome guest,
Within my home abide.
[Chorus]
O Savior, stay this night with me;
Behold, ’tis eventide.
O Savior, stay this night with me;
Behold, ’tis eventide.
2. Abide with me; ’tis eventide.
Thy walk today with me
Has made my heart within me burn,
As I communed with thee.
Thy earnest words have filled my soul
And kept me near thy side.
[Chorus]
O Savior, stay this night with me;
Behold, ’tis eventide.
O Savior, stay this night with me;
Behold, ’tis eventide.
3. Abide with me; ’tis eventide,
And lone will be the night
If I cannot commune with thee
Nor find in thee my light.
The darkness of the world, I fear,
Would in my home abide.
[Chorus]
O Savior, stay this night with me;
Behold, ’tis eventide.
O Savior, stay this night with me;
Behold, ’tis eventide.

We sang this hymn with a 106 year old less active woman yesterday. She believes firmly in the gospel, is blind, and one of the pioneers in Mexico. She's a marvel. What she has held onto for over a hundred years is what I hope to hold onto for eternity. I know that this is the True Gospel of the One True and Living God. I know that God is my Loving Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, is the Savior and Redeemer of the world. I wish I could express how deeply in my heart I have felt the truth of the Gospel. I know the Gospel is true. I know that Christ Lives. I know that anyone who so desires will know for themselves if they ask that same God. It is true. I know it because I asked. The less active members here know it because they feel the Spirit assuring them of their path on the way back. I know it is TRUE!


All My Love,

Élder Sudbury


PS Mom, good luck. I don't have any way to really help you from here. You'll be just fine. Dad, it's not super unsafe here...they don't do anything to missionaries. They know we don't have any money ;). I don't feel like it's winding down. Quite the opposite, I feel it's accelerating and becoming busier and busier. Melanie and Tim, do you know if it's a boy or girl? SalleeAnn and Matt, will you send me your plan for the 21 day challenge? Noella, send pictures, if you can. JuleeAnn and Chris, let me know what Boston's like to decide if I should go ;). I won't send pictures this week because I'm using a bit of a slow computer, but I have some. I'll tell you more experiences when I come home ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment