Elder Curtis Sudbury

Elder Curtis Sudbury

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Letter From Curtis March 19, 2011

Hello Family,
It's been a very long week. We've had the blessing of being able to work in our area more this last week than we have for some time, nevertheless, we've had quite a few interesting challenges. We have had some hard times with our investigators. One moved; two, we found out, don't believe in the Bible or in Sin and are quite firm in that belief and refuse to listen to any explanation; one is still waiting for her husband to get out of jail so she can focus more on the church; one thinks she's too old for church; and we haven't found the rest. I'm very tired, but I know that God will bless the work we've done. We haven't seen much success in bringing these people, who we love dearly, to the knowledge that has brought us so much joy, but we keep trying. We know there are many, many people in our area that are waiting and willing to listen and make the changes necessary to be truly happy. We are working hard to try to find them.

We have had some difficulties due to our assignment. We found out a couple weeks ago that my visa and those of a few other elders had not been appropriately processed and we had been illegals in México for almost a year. The good part is that it was a mistake of the national registry, not us, so we didn't have to pay. Nevertheless, it took quite some time to fix everything. Furthermore, two missionaries got rather sick this week and we've been bringing them authorization letters and medications and it's been very, very busy. We just barely got back from several errands we had to run in the morning. I'm exhausted.
Nevertheless (I've always liked that word, weird as it sounds), I know that God has been with us. I can't count the times we've been on the way home and needed to get there faster and I prayed for help and suddenly the traffic started to clear. On Friday morning we needed President to sign a check so we would have money for some elders who need it this weekend. We started to run very late and we were afraid we weren't going to reach him on time. I said a quick prayer and we went on our way. That trip at that time of day, due to traffic, has never taken me less than 2 hours. We got there in 45 minutes. It wasn't that I was driving especially recklessly, rather there just simply wasn't any traffic. I've never seen so little traffic at that hour. Perhaps outside traditional missionary work I have more faith because I've seen, over and over again, the hand of God in my life. I need to develop the same assurance in missionary work that I have for my daily tasks and chores. I'm working on it.
I want you all to know how grateful I am for all your support. I've been in the mission for over a year now and so many of you keep writing me, letting me know you're well, and that you love me. I really appreciate it.
This week's letter is brought by Each Life that Touches Ours for Good
Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.

What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior’s name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above.

I can't express how grateful I am for the many people in my life that have blessed me dearly. So many dear friends that have brought me closer to the Lord. So many times that I've seen the Savior's miracles through their acts. I know friends are a sacred trust and blessing. I know that the Lord is my best Friend. Each of my dear friends that leads me closer to the true path are living reflections of Him in my life. I know that He will always be with me. I know that He will stand by me, guide me, mourn with me, and always guide me. He is my Best Friend, my Redeemer, and my Savior. I am trying to become the kind of person that can be a Friend to Him. That is my goal. I will never let anything get between Him and me. I can't be more grateful for the feeling in my heart that He loves me, cares about me, and is my Friend. I hope, also, to reflect that Friendship to those around me so that they might, like I have, draw closer to Him.

All My Love,
Élder Sudbury

P.S. MA and Tim, heal well and take care of my darling neice and nephew. SalleeAnn and Matt, Congrats on matching, what program will it be? Noella, I haven't heard much from you lately, what's new? Ju and Chris, Congrats on MIT. Mom and Dad, thank you for your letters every week. Dad, I loved that line from last week you sent me. Mom, which Amanda? You'll be fine in stats. Things will work out. :) Just ask Ju and Chris. When Ju was writing me really frustrated with her work and colleagues and everything, just at the worst moment, everything worked out precisely as it was supposed to. "Things will work out. Keep trying. Be believing. Don't get discouraged. Things will work out" (President Hinckley). I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment