Elder Curtis Sudbury

Elder Curtis Sudbury

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Letter from Curtis - 2

Hello Fam,

I thought I would answer some of the more pressing questions I've been asked in this email that I've neglected previously:

1.  Did you ever get the beef jerky and the journals? 
Yes
2.  Did you get the house that you wanted for the Mission home?   Take some pictures of it and of you and your new companion.  Have someone else take the picture so you are not taking it from the point of view of your nostrils---if you know what I mean.
Not yet...Later in the month I'll take a picture of all of us in the offices.  The other two secretaries that are leaving to the new mission are out of the office for a few weeks.
3. Are you the only one left from the mission home group or was the group divided in half for the two missions.
Half and half.  One assistant and two secretaries are going to each mission
4.  What is the difference between your last job and the executive secretary job?
They're completely different.  Executive and materials works with the visas and the physical materials of the mission.  My other job was baptismal records and mission finances.
5.  How long will you serve in that new position?  (Will be it until the end of your mission?)
No idea whatsoever.  Could be six weeks, could be six months, could be anywhere inbetween :P.

Well, having that out of the way, I'll get started.  :)

I feel much better now (with a little bit of a sore throat).  We've had an interesting and crazy week.  We have been house shopping because we were informed that the houses we liked were both picked up before we could get to them.  Monday we had the new people; Tuesday changes and leaving missionaries;  Wednesday I started helping Élder Unsworth figure out his job and we picked up a missionary; Thursday we just had a relatively normal day; Friday we did more house shopping; and today we did more house shopping.  We talked with a real estate agent around here and she told us that we had seen just about every house in the area that was for rent.  Today we saw a house that we hadn't even heard about before.  It's a beautiful three story house for the same price a month as all the other ones.  The renter knows a bit about the missionaries and the church, so that won't be any problem at all.  President is going to see it Wednesday and, if all goes well, we should be able to sign a contract somewhere around next Saturday. 

I'm honestly exhausted.  I have to learn a new job and help my companion learn his.  I know fairly well the job I have, but it will be good to have a little time next week to organize everything.  Every time we've gone to the area we've seen great miracles.  We've found people in places that we've never found people before.  I'm excited :).

That's about all that's been happening with us.  We've just been busy getting things under control again. :P

This week's email has been brought to you by a song called Come to Me.  I will try, the best I can, to put the lyrics from memory:

Come to me, all you who are weary, or burdened
And I will give you rest
Come to me, all you who are weary, or burdened
And I will give you rest

Take my yoke upon you and learn of me
For I am gentle and humble in heart
Take my yoke upon you and learn of me
And you will find rest for your soul

You will find rest for your soul

For my yoke is easy
And my burden is light
For my yoke is easy
And my buden is light.
Honestly, it's somewhat of a repetitive song, but the simple lyrics adapted slightly from the Bible have a powerful message.  Christ, that Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End, he whose Hand spans the Universe and contemplates all things in One wants me to give my burdens to Him to carry.  I know it's His greatest desire to carry them for me.  The weight of sin or worry, the sorrow for seeing someone go astray, or whatever is happening in my life, He wants to carry it all.  He asks only one thing in return.  We carry His yoke and burden.  The greek words for the two yokes are so different.  The first is a HUGE burden, somewhat the weight of 500-1000 pounds.  It is the burden of a worker or a seller in Jerusalem.  The burden is yoked to the forehead and the waist and it is very cumbersome and difficult to carry.  The second yoke that he asks us to take refers to a small travelers bag, like a backpack.  I testify that Christ's burden is very light and, though it may seem difficult at times, the yoke is very easy.  I know that because I have felt Him take, time and again, my great burdens and hand me that little bag of commandments and ordinances.  I know He loves me enough to take that upon Himself.  I know the Father loves me as well and will do all He can for me.  I testify proudly of my Loving Father and Brother.

All my Love,
Élder Sudbury


PS Thank you for everything.  I wish the best for all of you.  Mom, just put your nose to the grinder and get it done.  Dad, good luck on your trip.  Melanie and Tim, I hope you're enjoying watching your children grow.  Matt and SalleeAnn, I hope you're enjoying watching your family grow.  Noella, I hope you're feeling much better from all your various injuries.  I need you to be healthy so you can train with me when I get back ;).  JuleeAnn and Chris, bon voyage!  Buen Viaje!  Be safe ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment