Elder Curtis Sudbury

Elder Curtis Sudbury

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Curtis' letter May 30, 2011

Hello World,

Well, changes were announced yesterday and I found out what my job is going to be and what mission I'll be going to.  I don't want you to be able to skip straight to the juicy information, so I'll hide that information throughout the letter.  You'll have to read the whole thing if you really want to know what's happening... ;)

It's been an interesting week.  What we've casually deemed the "kill count" for the mission increased by one.  Élder David Wayne Patterson II went home due to medical problems.  He has a herniated disk among other back problems and the pain became too intense for him to bear.  As a result of his going home, this whole week got mixed up.  I stayed here in the office with him all of Tuesday and Wednesday.  Those were two very long days :P  Thursday and Friday I stayed with Élder Patterson's companion Élder Aguilar so he could work in his area while he was waiting for changes (tomorrow).  He's my zone leader and a good missionary.  I actually rather enjoyed working with him.  And by the way (non-sequitur) I will be the executive secretary for a while.  :)  We worked well and had some fantastic miracles in his area.  Despite my lack of true teaching ability, we had some great lessons ;).  Saturday I went on exchanges with another district leader to do a baptismal interview for him.  The man had had many problems in his life.  The majority of his problems stemmed from a powerful alcoholism early on.  He has lost everything.  In two weeks, he kicked the habit he had had for more than 25 years.  God works many miracles.

Sunday we didn't get anyone to church, but had a great zone meeting about going to where the investigator is.  I came back, found out the changes for the mission, helped with a few of the tasks that need to be done every time changes take place, and went to sleep.  My new companion's name is Élder Unsworth.  He's a good elder that I only really know in passing.  We should have a good time together.  :)  You thought I was going to tell you what mission I was going to be in didn't you?  Mwahahaha.

Today I don't feel so well.  My stool has been a little bloody, but off and on for a couple of days.  I'm not sure what it could be, but if it continues I'll call the doctor.  It can't be anything too serious or I would have either fainted or died by now.  This letter is proof of my bill of health ;).  I will be staying in the Mexico Mexico City South Mission with President Aarón Chávez Carpio.  So you know ;).  My companions are in the instruction for the new missionaries at president's house while I stay with Élder Aguilar.  All will be well.  :)

We will find out, supposedly, about the house tomorrow.  We have a back-up plan house, but we would still really like the one we saw.  All's well that ends well I suppose.

This letter is brought to you by the hymn High on the Mountain Top
High on the mountain top
A banner is unfurled.
Ye nations, now look up;
It waves to all the world.
In Deseret’s sweet, peaceful land,
On Zion’s mount behold it stand!
For God remembers still
His promise made of old
That he on Zion’s hill
Truth’s standard would unfold!
Her light should there attract the gaze
Of all the world in latter days.
His house shall there be reared,
His glory to display,
And people shall be heard
In distant lands to say:
We’ll now go up and serve the Lord,
Obey his truth, and learn his word.
For there we shall be taught
The law that will go forth,
With truth and wisdom fraught,
To govern all the earth.
Forever there his ways we’ll tread,
And save ourselves with all our dead.
When the saints were to be integrated into the United States of America, they wanted their state to be called Deseret, Hebrew (if I remember correctly) for honey bee, the symbol they had chosen for themselves.  They were an industrious, hard working people and wanted the world to recognize that.  The government was not in agreement with many of the things the saints were doing at the time due to the many rumors that were circulating, and, furthermore, they didn't really want a state with a Hebrew name.  The government, partly to slight the saints and exert their authority over them, chose the name Utah to recognize the Ute tribe that was native to the state.  Only later did the Saints discover that the word Utah meant The Tops of the Mountains.
And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.
--Isaiah 2:2-3
High, on the Tops of the Mountains the Banner of Truth has been unfurled.  All the world may learn the law that flows out of Zion.  We, as missionaries, are carrying that law and that banner into all the world.  We seek to save the whole human family.  God has remembered His promises and has established His house in the Tops of the Mountains.  I know that He lives and that This is His church.  I know that Christ is the center of this Gospel and that He came down from Heaven to reestablish His church.  I know that the Arm of the Lord has been very active in fulfilling every prophecy about this Church and Kingdom.  I know that the times is not far distant when we will all Come to Zion.  I know that High on the Mountain Top Truth Eternal has been unfurled again.
All my Love,
Élder Sudbury
PS  Mom and Dad, I'm glad you're doing well and that you enjoyed your trip.  Melanie and Tim, Looks like Zoë had a great time in her performance.  Matt and SalleeAnn, congrats again on the graduation.  Noella, I'm grateful for the model of service you are.  The foodbank I'm sure appreciates all your help for the end of the world ;).  JuleeAnn and Chris, leaving home to go somewhere totally random is always crazy, but you'll be blessed.  Be happy ;).  Things will work out.
I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment