Elder Curtis Sudbury

Elder Curtis Sudbury

Friday, December 9, 2011

November 29, 2011

Well, it was an interesting week. We had two conferences last week and didn't have a ton of time to do good proselyting work, but we had some success. We had a baptism on Sunday. Arturo had some legal troubles with his son and postponed his baptism. He was able to come Sunday, so we prepared the font and he got baptized that day. Our font didn't drain and so we borrowed the font of the ward building next to ours. It was a little complicated. It wasn't the best baptismal service I've ever prepared, but it was decent :). He was very happy to finally get baptized.
Élder Gómez and I are getting used to each other and learning. We both have apologized for many, many things and we're progressing. Things improve little by little.  I appreciate that he has a good heart and a good desire. 
Thanksgiving doesn't exist here in México, so I spent it like I spend most other holidays...that is, working my head off :).
Yesterday we spent the whole day in the doctor's office and in an orthopedic insert store. My companion has what the orthopedist referred to as "Super-mega flat feet." We got home just in time to have the district meeting. It was a very busy day.
A good missionary is going home today. Élder Kyle Benjamin Tidwell has three hernias in his back and has to go home to have and recover from the surgery. If he makes a full recovery, he could return to missionary service. We saw him interned in the hospital yesterday and I had the fortune of giving him a blessing. It was a sweet blessing. He's been a good missionary and, even if he didn't make it back to full time service, he will serve the Lord wherever he is.
That's about all in the news. All is well.
This week's letter is brought to you by the hymn Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy
1. Brightly beams our Father’s mercy
From his lighthouse evermore,
But to us he gives the keeping
Of the lights along the shore.
[Chorus]
Let the lower lights be burning;
Send a gleam across the wave.
Some poor fainting, struggling seaman
You may rescue, you may save.
2. Dark the night of sin has settled;
Loud the angry billows roar.
Eager eyes are watching, longing,
For the lights along the shore.
[Chorus]
Let the lower lights be burning;
Send a gleam across the wave.
Some poor fainting, struggling seaman
You may rescue, you may save.
3. Trim your feeble lamp, my brother;
Some poor sailor, tempest-tossed,
Trying now to make the harbor,
In the darkness may be lost.
[Chorus]
Let the lower lights be burning;
Send a gleam across the wave.
Some poor fainting, struggling seaman
You may rescue, you may save.
I have always loved this hymn. We sang it in sacrament meeting and then again Arturo's baptism. I don't know much about how it works, but from what I understand, a lighthouse isn't enough for a sailor. The lighthouse gives the basic warning to a ship but without the lower lights along the shore, the ship can't navigate safely into the harbour. Those who faithfully keep the lights on the shore often never know who sees their lights, but they have the assurance that one way or another everyone will arrive safely if they follow those lights. I know that Christ is the Lighthouse. His great Light is the great guide for all of us, but I know that I have a great responsibility in this kingdom to bless and guide. I know that Christ Lives because I have been guided by that light for many years. I know with a perfect surety that He lives. I don't doubt it for a moment anymore. I just have to think of my life and I know. It's been a joy to be guided by Him for years.
All my Love,
Élder Sudbury
PS Sorry I haven't been putting PSs. Mom and Dad, it looks like you enjoyed your trip. I can call Saturday or Sunday, it doesn't matter which. In the afternoon is preferrable. I believe I am one hour ahead of you. The package should get to me in another week or two. The elders from the southeast mission should be bringing it soon. Melanie, Happy Birthday! And happy birthday soon to Zoë. Matt and SalleeAnn, your family looks adorable. Noella, I hope you enjoyed your trip. I can't go to the link, but if you send me photos I can see them :). JuleeAnn and Chris, good luck choosing where to go. I appreciate all the little notes I get from you, Ju. I love you all. Happy thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment