Elder Curtis Sudbury

Elder Curtis Sudbury

Sunday, January 8, 2012

December 18th letter from Curtis

Dear Family,

An interesting week, full of joys and complicated things.  This week will mark the end of the trasfer cycle.  This Sunday night we will know if we had transfers or not.  It has been an interesting time with Élder Gómez.  We are very different in many ways, he and I, but we've learned to appreciate one another.  About an hour ago we had a baptism.  Pablo Bahena Sánchez and his son Pablo Bahena Perales were baptized in the Paraíso Ward in the Paraíso Stake at about 1230 Central time.  They've had an interesting journey.  Pablo was catholic, born and raised.  He began wondering about religions many years ago and he asked the Jehovah's Witnesses to pass by.  He was a guitar player in a band but gave up music because they told him it was sin.  Talk about faith!  After a time he asked them to not pass by and, a few years later, some of our companions contacted him.  He accepted the truth very readily.  He's a very good man with a large, good family.  He and his son had wanted to get baptized but didn't feel like they had that final answer to help them take the step.  One day he woke up speaking the words "John 23."  John chapter 23 doesn't exist.  He started looking for the verses (something he learned how to do with the Jehovah's Witnesses).  John 3:23 says:
 
23 ¶And John also was baptizing in Ænon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.
He felt convinced, not being the first time he had been told something like this in his dreams, and decided to get baptized.  His son also wanted to go forward with his baptism.  They finally decided on today at noon.  We are very pleased. :)
 
The missionaries in my district are learning to follow the rules better and we are progressing.  We are going to have our Christmas dinner with President tomorrow.  All is well with me.  I will be writing again on Saturday but won't be writing Monday.  I'll write again the 31st but not the 2nd, so you can plan your letters ;).  I can only make one call for 40 minutes, so that's that.
 
This week's letter is brought to you by the hymn Away in a Manger:
 
1. Away in a manger, no crib for his bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet head;
The stars in the heavens looked down where he lay,
The little Lord Jesus, asleep on the hay.
2. The cattle are lowing; the poor baby wakes,
But little Lord Jesus, no crying he makes.
I love thee, Lord Jesus; look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle till morning is nigh.
3. Be near me, Lord Jesus; I ask thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray.
Bless all the dear children in thy tender care,
And fit us for heaven to live with thee there.

What happened in springtime some 2012 years ago changed everything.  A baby was born to save the world.  The dragon was slain by the lamb.  Satan and all his hosts lost all their power against the repentant.  Everyone was given the chance to become sons and daughters of God and Christ.  I know with all my heart and as a witness of Him that He literally lived, died, and lives again as a resurrected and perfected being.  I know it is true with all my being.  He Lives!

All my Love,
Élder Sudbury
PS out of time, I'll write more Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment