Elder Curtis Sudbury

Elder Curtis Sudbury

Monday, January 16, 2012

Letter from Curtis January 16, 2012

Hello Family,
 
It's been a bit of an odd week. We had two leadership councils and I went on exchanges with other missionaries twice this week. I really haven't seen our investigators and I can only hope that Élder Gómez is helping them with their personal needs.  Elder Gomez is trying hard and doing a really good job. I think that trying hard is a good 90% of missionary success.  He officially finished his instruction time in the mission. He'll be ready for a good, long, hard mission now.
 
This week we began to share our testimonies more in the street when we talk to people for the first time. A lot more people have invited us to their houses. I think the power of a simple, pure testimony really can change hearts and lives. A simple testimony of the Book of Mormon and consistent studying of it will carry both our investigators and me back to live with God in the eternities. I truly believe that. I'm hugely imperfect, but I know I can obtain eternal life by holding fast to the word of God.
 
We climbed to the top of a hill today in the morning. I'm tired, but it was fun. I loved reflecting on being able to leave the smog of the city to be able to see the clear day just a few steps away. Patrick Kearon commented on that in the Liahona of December. If you get a chance, you should read it, it was especially good.
 
I wish I could say more about the week. It's just the regular preaching the gospel here in Mexico City.
This week's letter has been brought to you by the hymn Carry On:
 
1. Firm as the mountains around us,
Stalwart and brave we stand
On the rock our fathers planted
For us in this goodly land—
The rock of honor and virtue,
Of faith in the living God.
They raised his banner triumphant—
Over the desert sod.
[Chorus]
And we hear the desert singing:
Carry on, carry on, carry on!
Hills and vales and mountains ringing:
Carry on, carry on, carry on!
Holding aloft our colors,
We march in the glorious dawn.
O youth of the noble birthright,
Carry on, carry on, carry on!
2. We’ll build on the rock they planted
A palace to the King.
Into its shining corridors,
Our songs of praise we’ll bring,
For the heritage they left us,
Not of gold or of worldly wealth,
But a blessing everlasting
Of love and joy and health.
And we hear the desert singing:
Carry on, carry on, carry on!
Hills and vales and mountains ringing:
Carry on, carry on, carry on!
Holding aloft our colors,
We march in the glorious dawn.
O youth of the noble birthright,
Carry on, carry on, carry on!

I love this hymn. It's a very cheery hymn that encourages diligence in continuing forward. As Christ said, "My father still works, and I work." The work of the Lord is not over and He hasn't stopped working. I must work as well until He's done. I know He lives and works because I've seen His work in my life and in the lives of every person with whom I've ever come in contact. I know He exists. I have had so many proofs in my heart and life.  This is His church. Of these things I am completely sure.

All my Love,
Élder Sudbury

PS Mom and Dad, enjoy the snow ;). Melanie and Tim, thank you for your support and love. I hope your family is well. SalleeAnn and Matt, I hope your adorable children are doing well. Noella, I hear you've selected a wedding dress. I want a picture ;). JuleeAnn and Chris, thank you for the note. You'll be moving soon enough. I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment