Elder Curtis Sudbury

Elder Curtis Sudbury

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Letter from Curtis December 31, 2011

Dear Family,

It was good to hear from all of you this Christmas!  You all sound great and healthy!  I'm especially pleased to have been able to talk with Matt, SalleeAnn, JuleeAnn, Chris, Hannah, Sammy, and Abigail on the east coast on the same phone call.  That is a wonderful maneuver that certainly made my Christmas.

SalleeAnn, Happy BIRTHDAY!!!  I think Matt's birthday is also around this time...I do apologize if I don't remember somebody's birthday.  I don't have my calendar (facebook) to remind me right now ;).

This week finds me twenty-one years young.  I wish I could say I look or feel my age.  I look older and feel younger :)!  I'm not sure how that works out, but it's a fact.  


It's been a wonderful pleasure to serve the Lord full time for a tenth of my lifetime.  I hope to be able to serve him well ALL my life.  It's such a joy and a privilege.

This week has been a little bit slow because of the holidays, but we've had a few new investigators and the other elders from our ward had a baptism.  All is working out. I'm sorry I don't have more to report, it's been a rather slow week.


This week's letter has been brought to you by the hymn Ring Out, Wild Bells:

1. Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light.
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.
2. Ring out the old; ring in the new.
Ring, happy bells, across the snow.
The year is going; let him go.
Ring out the false; ring in the true.
The year is going; let him go.
Ring out the false; ring in the true.
3. Ring in the valiant men and free,
The larger heart, the kindlier hand.
Ring out the darkness of the land;
Ring in the Christ that is to be.
Ring out the darkness of the land;
Ring in the Christ that is to be.

I love the haunting tune of this hymn.  I don't believe it exists in Spanish, but at the end of every year it comes to mind.  I love Dad's tradition of bell-ringing.  It reminds me of the meaning of this hymn.  It is a song of change for the better and renewal.  It is a hymn inviting us to let the bad and the weary and the past die with the old year and to let Christ be born, the truth to reign, and a renewal of heart to take place.  


For all these things Christ came.  I know He came.  I know He lives.  I know that, should all the world fall apart, He would still be.  He lives.  I know He lives and actually exists.  Sin and Healing, Light and Darkness, and Eternal Laws are not just nice things to think or talk about, they are actual facts.  I know it.  It is TRUE.  I'll seal that testimony by living it all my life.

All my Love,
Élder Sudbury

PS Happy new year!  I loved hearing you all!  I haven't any time left.  Have a wonderful bell ringing!

No comments:

Post a Comment