Elder Curtis Sudbury

Elder Curtis Sudbury

Monday, January 9, 2012

Letter from Curtis January 9, 2011

Dear Family,
It was an interesting week. Here in México we celebrate something called Day of the Three Kings in memory of the three wise men that came to give gifts to Christ. Families that don't celebrate Christmas or Christmas Eve usually celebrate this holiday as the Three Kings come to give gifts to children that ask for them. It's a holiday almost as big as Christmas, so many people weren't in their homes. Most people have work and school off to celebrate. It's an interesting tradition. :)
This last week I was impressed with the healing power of the gospel. We ran into the father of an old investigator. He asked us to pass by. He wants to change a lot of things. A drug addiction, two separations, and trouble at work have made his life rather hectic and, as we talked, he said that he believes the gospel can help him change. Now, I've never tried drugs, I'm not married, and I've never had serious job troubles, but I know that this message can and will, if he lets it, bring peace back into his life.
All is going well. I was a little sick yesterday with diarrhea. Élder Lee (another Élder from my district) was sick with the same thing, but it hit him harder. He couldn't get up in the morning, so I stayed home with him and they brought us the sacrament. We studied and played chess. I managed to remember enough to beat him twice. ;) I feel much better now, as does he. I'm grateful for a good doctor and good medicine.
That's about all the news for this week. I'm well, and we're working hard. This week I have two leadership councils, so it will be a very fast week.
This week's letter is brought to you by the hymn A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief:
1. A poor, wayfaring Man of grief
Hath often crossed me on my way,
Who sued so humbly for relief
That I could never answer nay.
I had not pow’r to ask his name,
Whereto he went, or whence he came;
Yet there was something in his eye
That won my love; I knew not why.
2. Once, when my scanty meal was spread,
He entered; not a word he spake,
Just perishing for want of bread.
I gave him all; he blessed it, brake,
And ate, but gave me part again.
Mine was an angel’s portion then,
For while I fed with eager haste,
The crust was manna to my taste.
3. I spied him where a fountain burst
Clear from the rock; his strength was gone.
The heedless water mocked his thirst;
He heard it, saw it hurrying on.
I ran and raised the suff’rer up;
Thrice from the stream he drained my cup,
Dipped and returned it running o’er;
I drank and never thirsted more.
4. ’Twas night; the floods were out; it blew
A winter hurricane aloof.
I heard his voice abroad and flew
To bid him welcome to my roof.
I warmed and clothed and cheered my guest
And laid him on my couch to rest,
Then made the earth my bed and seemed
In Eden’s garden while I dreamed.
5. Stript, wounded, beaten nigh to death,
I found him by the highway side.
I roused his pulse, brought back his breath,
Revived his spirit, and supplied
Wine, oil, refreshment—he was healed.
I had myself a wound concealed,
But from that hour forgot the smart,
And peace bound up my broken heart.
6. In pris’n I saw him next, condemned
To meet a traitor’s doom at morn.
The tide of lying tongues I stemmed,
And honored him ’mid shame and scorn.
My friendship’s utmost zeal to try,
He asked if I for him would die.
The flesh was weak; my blood ran chill,
But my free spirit cried, “I will!”
7. Then in a moment to my view
The stranger started from disguise.
The tokens in his hands I knew;
The Savior stood before mine eyes.
He spake, and my poor name he named,
“Of me thou hast not been ashamed.
These deeds shall thy memorial be;
Fear not, thou didst them unto me.”
This is one of the longest hymns in the hymnbook, but I love the message. All things we do, we do to Him. He suffered every experience of our mortal lives. Every hurt, pain, injustice, sorrow, joy, love, heartache, and everything else life offers He humbly bore so that He may say that He knows exactly what we're going through. If we say something unkind to another, we do it to Him. If we help the weak or weary, we help Him. All things are done to Him. As we help to heal and succor, we too are healed by Him and "from that hour [we forget] the smart/ And peace [binds] up [our] broken heart". I hope to serve Him all my life. I serve Him by helping others on their path, both temporally and spiritually. I know He lives and I know I am in His service. I have been in His service for years. I hope to continue in His service for the rest of my life. He loves me and has given me everything I have. I know that I would not be who I am without Him. He and His Father Live and this is Their Church. I know it.
All My Love,
Élder Sudbury
PS Mom and Dad, I hope you enjoyed ringing bells. I got the birthday package. Thank you. Melanie and Tim, Zoë and Ryan are getting so big! I think Zoë will be my size before I get back ;). Matt and SalleeAnn, I got your Christmas card. Your kids are adorable. Noella, I hope your parties with Cliff and the Judge went well. JuleeAnn and Chris, congratulations on the decision. You will LOVE Seattle. I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment